Common households are reluctant in implementing solar energy in their homes. This is because solar panels tend to be very expensive. Not only that, thinking about the installation costs and the process can be daunting.
Since solar panels are made of rare and delicate materials, producing them is costly. This is why common people just turn to conventional electricity sources. Consumption will remain expensive and greenhouse gasses will continue to increase.
This is why despite the challenges solar panels are a good investment. It can lower your bills for the long term and will make the environment a healthier place to live.
In this article, we will indulge deeper on why are solar panels so expensive. You’ll have an idea of the factors that make solar panels pricey.
Yes, they are expensive but due to the rapid increase in solar companies, prices tend to drop. Although it is still not attainable for an ordinary household to afford, the industry is on the right track.
Here are the primary reasons why are solar panels so expensive:
- The materials are hard to find: The materials used in making the panels do not come handy.
- The process of making them is delicate: They are not easy to make. This is why manufacturing them requires a lot of expertise.
- Handling them requires extra care and attention: After manufacturing, solar panels require storage that will keep them safe. There are standard operating procedures that are made to prevent damages on the panels. The pieces of equipment used to make this possible are too expensive as well.
- Complicated installation: The installation of solar panels requires professional help. It only means that it does not come cheap.
Why are solar panels getting cheaper over time?
The good news is, the price of solar panels is getting lower over time. Several factors comprise it. In this part of the article, we will discuss it.
- The competition is getting stiff: Day by day, the solar energy industry is growing. This is why its manufacturers need to adjust their pricing for them to remain in-game.
- Alternative materials are readily available: This reduces the price of solar panels significantly. Just be sure that it will not compromise the quality of it.
- Flexible plans offered: Right now, solar panel manufacturers are finding a way to reach more buyers. So they came up with a solution to giving customers flexible plans. One example of it is long-term leasing.
The Installation Process
Let us elaborate on this topic further. This is because installation is a big part of why solar panels are so expensive. In this way, you can have a grasp on why it has that certain price.
Installing the thing takes a lot of resources such as the following:
So don’t be surprised at how expensive a particular solar panel is even if it is too small. Added the fact that installation requires a lot of expertise.
There are more specific factors that justify the expensive pricing of solar panels. To give you a deeper insight into why are solar panels so expensive, we will discuss it further in this part.
Solar Panel Type
There are different solar panel types present. This is why there is no doubt that it is one of the factors is their type. Their type is detrimental to their pricing. The more efficient the solar panel is then the price will be much higher.
Aside from the solar panel type, the kind of inverter used is also detrimental. It is a big factor in the price of the solar panel. There are 3 primary kinds of inverters in solar panels and they are the following:
- Power optimizers
The most efficient among the three is the power optimizers. So you can expect that they are way more expensive than their counterparts.
This part is very important in the panel’s installation. This is why it is important to have the best mounting system for your solar panel. Since it is exposed to various weather conditions, it must not deteriorate easily. It will keep the solar panel safe and intact at all times even on a windy day.
So the only option is to use a mounting system that has the best materials. But expect that it does not come cheap.
When installing solar panels, there will be lots of challenges. One of them is the branches of trees that are near your roofs. To have more efficient solar panels, branches must be removed. This is why you have to spend extra money on landscaping.
Having this kind of roof can give the installer a hard time mounting the panel. As a result, the fees could get higher. So be sure to evaluate your roof first before deciding to buy a solar panel. This will help you know if how much you will have to spend overall.
The installation of solar panels does require some electrical modification. It allows the panels to function without any problems. But doing such a thing isn’t free at all that is why you must reserve some budget for this.
Read more: How to Test a Deep Cycle Battery?
Now you know what spikes up the prices of solar panels, you’ll now have the idea. It will give you a rough estimate of what to expect when budgeting for your solar panel project.
Solar panels are a good investment and it explains why are solar panels so expensive. Although you’ll have to spend a little bit, the pros of having your solar panel supersede the disadvantages.
You will eventually know its worth once it has reduced your bills. Another thing is once it is implemented on a bigger scale the greenhouse gas emission will be lessened. As a result, the world will be a much better place to live in. Clean air will prevent a lot of diseases particularly respiratory problems and certain types of cancers too.